It’s Valentines Day today and the first year that I am single in over 15 years. I can’t help but feel like I am living a scene from Sex and City, celebrating GALentines day yesterday with my girl friends and sitting home alone today. Many of you might be thinking, “Shut up, I have been single for the past 15 years!” I know, I know, but this is a big deal for someone who has spent half of her life in a relationship. So on a day like today, when the whole world is expressing their love to their families, I sit and express my love to myself.
Because of the demands, priorities and distractions families and relationships come with; we often neglect to pay attention to the person that matters most, yourself. We forget to make time to honor, respect, and love ourselves. It may sound narcissistic and selfish, but that little voice inside our heads can be very mean sometimes, especially to ourselves. So it is that much more important to heal those wounds that our very own self inflicts. A belief is a thought that we have a lot. If you think about it, you will start to believe it. So be nice to yourself, if not everyday, then at least today.
When you take care of yourself, you will feel better. Everyone in your life will benefit from you feeling happier.
Tools to Practice Self Love:
- Look in the mirror and say I Love You.
- Repeat this mantra throughout your day, I am worthy of love.
- Meditate for 5 min in the morning before you start your day.
- Lay in a fetal position hugging your body and thank yourself for all your hard work.
- Practice yoga. Allow yourself to let go of all roles and responsibilities while on your mat.
- Choose to make a healthy dinner, regardless of what your family likes.
- Take a bath, journal your deepest fears and worries.