For most of my life I have been unaware of how important it is to find your own passions, meaning and purpose in life. There came a time in my life when I started to crave more meaning, I wanted something real and didn’t know what or how to find it. I struggled with identifying with myself and what it is that I really wanted. I started paying attention to what others did and what other people love. It wasn’t until I did my own soul searching that I remembered what I love and find inspiration in. My passion is the connection I have with myself and my spirit, being inspired, being creative and being my best version of myself. I tap into those areas of my life by writing, reading, meditating, practicing yoga and connecting with people/animals/nature.
The road to finding your passion is easier than it seems, the most important part is letting yourself get lost in what you are doing. We all have demands coming from all directions in life, but if we allow ourselves to let go of who we think we are to other people, let go of the roles we play in life, put worrying aside and start to give your full attention to whatever it is that you choose is your passion, that is how you develop the love for something and yourself. Your passion starts to mean something to you because you are now connected to your true self, your pure potentiality.
Steps to help find your purpose:
Ask yourself the difficult questions:
Find your passion:
- What do you enjoy?
- What are you afraid of admitting that you like?
- What do you love about yourself?
- What would you do if you knew you could not fail?
- What would you do if money was not a concern in your life?
- What would you regret not doing if your life ended?
- What do you want to do that you keep making excuses for?
- How can you inspire others?
Decide what kind of life you want to live:
- What kind of life do you want for yourself?
- Where do you see yourself living?
- What kind of lifestyle are you living?
- What kind of partner do you want?
- What habits are harmful to you?
- What do you want to teach or inspire others?
- What kind of life do you want for your family or kids?
Decide what kind of person you want to be:
- What do you want to be to others?
- What do you want other people to say when they think of you?
- Who inspires you and what about them?
- What can you be better at?
- What do you feel you can’t change about yourself?
- What traits do you admire about others?
- Write down answers to each question
- Create a vision in your head of what you want, what kind of person you are to yourself and others, and what you are doing
- Write down small goals that will bring you closer to what you envision:
- Example: If you envision a more active lifestyle, a goal might be to: Cut watching TV time down to __hrs/day.
- Example: If you envision yourself being more open, a goal might be to: Reflect every day how you were judgmental and how you can be better
- Example: If you envision yourself as a writer: Write in your journal __ /week.
It is important to know and remind yourself that you are not always going to have the motivation and you will forget why you are doing what you are doing. This time will pass, if you have lost motivation, start over with asking yourself the tough questions and creating small goals again. Don’t forget to reflect on how far you have come and being grateful of the work you have done! We are all made to be on a path that brings us closest to our true authentic selves, its up to yourself to discover it.